Monday, June 24, 2013

Social Media & Truth


Normally, when I check my phone for newsworthy information, I make sure that it is from a reliable source such as CNN, ABC or a reputable magazine for example. If not that, I see if it comes from a reliable person to spread information such as a Journalist or well known public figure.  If the story interests me enough then I pull up Google to research or fact-check the story.
Prime example, one thing in particular that I learned while logging into my accounts was that the opening arguments of the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case was starting today. I found this information out my logging on to my Instagram account and looking at a picture that one of my followers took of their television screen. I, then turned to channel to HLN  to see the case as it was premiering live. Social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter keep up in tune with the world. This is especially beneficial for News Journalists because when news breaks they can instantly post brief content on their page without waiting to write the whole story in detail before word gets out. Social media can not be avoided for this reason. Getting reliable sources of information all depends on who you are following on social media sites. Put another way, the addiction to social media does not have to have a negative impact on your life if you continue to learn more about the world each day by influential figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment